Stats (via Niche)
- Population: 6,605
- Size: 0.581 sq. miles
- Median Rent: $772
- Median Home Value: $133,936
East Liberty has changed dramatically in recent years but not for the first time.
This neighborhood on Pittsburgh’s East End was once a thriving commercial center that served many of Pittsburgh’s industrial millionaires who lived nearby. S’liberty, as it sometimes called, flourished as a central shopping district until suburban sprawl and poor city planning decisions took their toll in the Sixties, bringing urban blight and crime upon the community.
It’s a whole new scene today in the community which is bordered by Highland Park, Morningside, Stanton Heights, Garfield, Friendship, Shadyside and Larimer. Once again, it is a thriving place for businesses, residential living and shopping.
The redevelopment of the neighborhood has not been without controversy, with the twin issue of gentrification a growing concern since rents and housing prices have soared, pricing many out.
Beyond residential, the community has become a hub for entrepreneurs and startups who work at one of several business accelerators that make their home here, including the Beauty Shoppe, Ascender (formerly Thrill Mill), and AlphaLab Gear , all just a stone’s throw from the Google Pittsburgh offices in Bakery Square.
New restaurants such as Honeygrow and Pittsburgh-based Choolaah (for really great Indian barbecue), join Muddy Waters, Dinette, BRGR, Spoon, Kahuna, Clean Juice and many more. You’ll also find Ace Hotel and Indigo Hotel and the new Warby Parker doing a brisk business on Penn Avenue across the street from the local and much-loved Zeke’s Coffee. There’s also a beautiful and modern Carnegie Library branch, Target and of course, Trader Joe’s.
More East Liberty News
- Gaby et Jules: Cafe opening in East Liberty with some of the world’s best macarons
- Design magazine Dwell praises Schoolhouse’s stunning makeover of East Liberty’s Detective Building
- Proposed Centre Avenue development could bring up to 170 new apartments to East Liberty
- Got a great tech idea? Startup Boost is offering information sessions this month. Details here.
- Family pho-ever: Two Sisters Vietnamese Kitchen opens in East Liberty