The local popularity of former Pittsburgh Steeler Charlie Batch continues to grow, thanks in part to his 10-year history of distributing more than 30,000 toys to local children during the holiday season.
This year, Batch will collect new, unwrapped toys from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Dec. 1 at the U.S. Steel Building, Downtown. Gift-givers are encouraged to fill the giant inflatable present in the building’s lobby and help the Batch A Toys program meet its goal of distributing 5,000 presents this year.
Batch and his wife Latasha will then personally deliver the toys, books, and household items to children at the Women’s Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh, at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, and to financially challenged families in Allegheny County. Other locations for toy drop-offs, listed below, will be collecting through December 10th.
Nationally, Batch may be known for the Super Bowl rings won as a backup quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers. In Pittsburgh, he’s beloved for his commitment to guiding the younger generation – especially in his native Homestead.
His nonprofit Best of the Batch Foundation offers youth enrichment programs and events throughout the year, including sports and recreational experiences, leadership and community efforts, educational initiatives and fundraising.
Toy donations for Batch A Toys can also be delivered through December 10th to the following locations:
- Best of the Batch Foundation, 2000 West St., Munhall 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday through Friday
- All regional Dunkin Donuts locations
- Best Buy, Waterfront
- DiCesaro Spine & Sport, 5990 University Boulevard, Moon Township
- GAP stores, Waterfront and South Hills Village Mall
- Goddard Schools, 301 Fifth Avenue, Downtown; and 800 Commerce Drive, Moon Township
- Lane Bryant stores, Waterfront and Tanger Outlets
- Park Elementary, Cambria Street, Munhall 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., Monday through Friday