FROM OUR SPONSORS
More than 40,000 runners will take to the streets of Pittsburgh for the 2020 DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon weekend of events. You don’t want to miss Family Day on Saturday, May 2. There’s something for participants of all ages and abilities — plus dogs and cats!
“Race weekend has truly become a family weekend, and we continue to encourage runners of all ages to MOVE and reach new fitness goals,” said Troy Schooley, P3R CEO.
Last year’s Family Day broke participation records with more than 16,000 participants. Even more people are expected to participate this year! Here are the reasons why your family should join the fun and be part of Family Day:
1. No matter your age, pace or experience, there’s an event for you. Your family can choose from the UPMC Health Plan / UPMC Sports Medicine Pittsburgh 5K Run (3.1 miles), Chick-fil-A Pittsburgh Kids Marathon (1 mile), Sheetz Pittsburgh Toddler Trot or the Pittsburgh Pet Walk (1 mile).
2. Do it for the bling! Participants in all events will receive an awesome participant shirt and medal.
3. Don’t miss your chance to run across one of Pittsburgh’s famous yellow bridges. Both the UPMC Health Plan / UPMC Sports Medicine Pittsburgh 5K Run and Chick-fil-A Pittsburgh Kids Marathon start on the North Shore near PNC Park, take runners across the Roberto Clemente Bridge and then finish on the Boulevard of the Allies.
4. Celebrate after the race in Point State Park. After the race, runners will celebrate their accomplishment at the Finish Line Festival in Point State Park! Event partners will be on-site with fun giveaways, activities, and much, much more!
5. Be part of one of the largest youth races in the country. With more than 6,600 participants plus their parents in 2019, the Chick-fil-A Pittsburgh Kids Marathon is one of the largest youth races in the country. Even more are expected to participate this year!
6. Your favorite mascot is waiting to give you a high-five. Each year Pittsburgh’s favorite mascots join runners to celebrate Family Day. One might even pose for a photo with you!
7. You can earn a bonus medal by completing the STEEL Challenge. Already registered for one of Sunday’s events? Sign up for the STEEL Challenge and use the UPMC Health Plan / UPMC Sports Medicine Pittsburgh 5K run as a warm-up run and earn an extra medal. That means you’ll get a 5K medal, a race medal from Sunday, plus a special STEEL Challenge medal! Whoa, now you are talking about bragging rights.
8. Show off your precious pup! Bring your favorite furry friend to the Pittsburgh Pet Walk in Point State Park. Attendees and their pets could win awards and prizes for the cutest pet, pet/owner look-a-like, and best costume! This one-mile event will take place at Point State Park with all proceeds benefiting Humane Animal Rescue.
9. You can train together as a family or with your school through Kids of STEEL. Kids of STEEL is a free training program that motivates kids and their families to get moving. As part of the award-winning program, students will complete at least 25 training miles in preparation for race weekend. The program keeps expanding, and in 2020, a record 181 schools and organizations in 12 counties have already committed to Kids of STEEL!
10. Crossing the finish line together is priceless. Nothing is better than that feeling of crossing the finish line and earning the title Runner of Steel. Don’t miss your chance of experiencing it with someone you love.
For more information about the 2020 DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon weekend of events, visit www.thePittsburghMarathon.com.